The flu is a seasonal illness, and this year, there has been a significant increase in cases compared to the previous two years. This spike is believed to be caused by individuals not taking precautions such as wearing masks and staying indoors as they did during the height of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Common Symptoms of Influenza
- Fever and chills
- Vomiting and diarrhea, especially in children
- Muscle and overall body aches
- Runny and stuffy nose
- Sore throat
Many of the above symptoms can be managed at home. However, if you or your child experience persistent vomiting and diarrhea, it is recommended that you visit a doctor for examination and proper treatment. Vomiting and diarrhea can cause dehydration, which can be dangerous for children and adults alike.
Some excellent ways to manage influenza at home include:
- Keep warm
- Stay hydrated
- Take an analgesic such as ibuprofen if you have a headache or muscle pain
- Get plenty of rest and sleep
- Drink tea with honey because the latter has antimicrobial properties
- Avoid sugary drinks
- Use regular or mentholated cough drops if you have a cough or a sore throat
An excellent way to help prevent the spread of the flu is by staying home if you’re sick. If your child is sick, keep them out of school until they fully recover.
Overall, influenza isn’t a big deal for healthy people. It can be managed at home, and the individual should be fully recovered in a few days. However, if you’re experiencing severe symptoms, we recommend that you consult your doctor as soon as possible for proper diagnosis and treatment.